Sunday, March 25, 2007

Goodbye, coffee!

No more coke, coffee, or anything that’s not good for a sickly tummy. Well, only for the meantime while I’m taking my medication.

It’s really bad. I was having my snacks at the hospital canteen yesterday while waiting for the results of my tests (CBC, urinalysis and amylase lipase—for the pancreas chuchu) when everyone around me was having Coke (and my mother had RTO). Hmp! I’ve been without it since Wednesday, and I just have to abstain from drinking cola or I’ll die. I only had ice cream, at least I was allowed that, and some hopia. At home, they feed me lugaw and oatmeal. I've never liked them. But do I have a choice?

It’s my stomach. I was diagnosed with peptic ulcer (is it the same with acute gastritis? I was still groggy when the doctor told me their findings then) plus UTI. So, illness these days comes in pairs, huh?

Some of the three tests were to find out if I had appendicitis. I was really praying it wasn’t that ‘cause I hate operation. I so hate it! So when my cutie of a doctor told me they had to rule that out, I was like, yeyy! Even if the pain was still excruciating like the first day it started, what he said was like music to my ears.

The pain started Thursday night. I was at Holiday Spa for a coverage early that night and was served one of their “healthy foods,” green mango shake. The taste was okay, but I don’t think I would try it again. The thought of having another one is just too nauseating. When I got home that night I was already experiencing the pain I call hyperacidity. Took two tablets of Kremil-S, but the pain just became more intolerable as the night wore on. I started puking, self-induced, to hopefully let the gas out or whatever was causing the pain inside but I just woke my mother up. Then there were already two of us—she massaging the painful parts of my body while I was trying to get some rest--who had no sleep. I was still wide awake when morning came, even saw the sunshine through my window, but that was no consolation. The pain was still there. Bad!

Thursday, I did not work. I slept throughout the day. But on Friday, I was already committed to cover an event in Plantation Bay so I had to go there despite the pain. It was only yesterday that I finally gave in. My mom was very insistent from the very start that I should see a doctor. I already talked to my doctor, a friend/boss from college, and was given a free consultation (she's really an angel). When the medicine she prescribed me didn't work out well, I went to our company doctor. Another set of medicines, but there was no relief at all.

So, I had to get to the hospital or I’d be dead. I’m not actually scared of dying, it’s just that I still have a lot to do. And what about my family, they sure will miss me. :) And the pain, that no matter how I lied to my mom telling her it had become tolerable for a while I still could not hide the fact that it was not yet. I walked like an old woman suffering from osteoporosis. Get the drift?

I was also curious as to what my illness was. For three straight days I had abdominal pains, no appetite, and was a bit weak(I was always sleeping those past days). The two doctors who consulted me had been suggesting I should undergo some tests but I was too adamant ‘cause I was sure the pain would just go away if I took some antacids or whatever they would give me for it. Very wrong!

At the hospital, there were three tests at first but the results showed less signs to conclude the type of sickness that hit me, so the cute doctor ordered I should take one more test for hepatitis. Hepatitis??? I was really surprised he could suggest I had it. He was saying there are four types of hepa, and one of them is hepa b, which you can get—among others--from having sex with someone infected by the disease. Oh, God! My mom was listening, and I was close to saying, “Doc, I haven’t been there. Utang buot!” But he ended his litany by saying, “But I’m sure you don’t indulge in those things…??” Definitely, NO! Do I really look it??? He-he!

When the result of the fourth test came I was still sleeping in my bed that the doctor had to wake me up to tell the news: negative!

So it was all UTI (I’m not even sure of this one) and peptic ulcer that caused the bullshit pain. The pain is still here but at least it’s not that bad anymore. I’m really glad I will never have to go through any operation (not even if Dr. McSteamy is doing it). I hate needles and scalpels and anything that is painful, period.

While I’m recuperating (and since peptic ulcer is peptic ulcer) I have to change my lifestyle. No coffee (I haven’t had a cup of it since Thursday), coke (it’s really not fair!), fruits, and all the good stuff. The price I have to pay….But only for a while.

4 comments:

feebee said...

ah okay, so you were not confined? :)

peptic ulcer? i passed out because of that back in my people support days. lol! it's easy. fast forward to two months and you'll be back to your caffeine-ated ways with no ish! ;) feel better fast!

vatski said...

yep, i wasn't confined, salamat sa dios! :D i just stayed a lil longer at the ER for the tests, but we went home before midnight, kay di jud nako feel matanggong didto.
i will certainly go back to that old lifestyle. starting ugma! can't wait. :)

feebee said...

ugma jud dayon? kadali! paabti sa one month oi...

vatski said...

ngek! dugay bya ya, kapoy huwat. ive been drinking milk since, and it's getting on my veins na, basin ma-addict ko ani. niak!