Saturday, March 31, 2007

faux faith or what, my stand

heY! you do not have to read this. pretending I have readers :)

I was in San Fernando town the other day to cover the filing of Certificates of Candidacy of some local officials there. In going to the town proper you pass by the Pitalo Church, famous for its miraculous saint (I think it's San Vicente de Ferrer). We were supposed to stop over to say a little prayer at this church but we ran out of time so we just skipped that "tradition." Anyway, this church of San Vicente is not that grand compared to that in Cathedral (Cebu City) and the Basilica del Sto. Niño, but devotees come here as often as they can in the hopes of getting their prayers/wishes come true through the intercession of this saint. There is a little chapel above the altar of the main church, and here is where people solemnly pray and do their devotions. I swear, because of the place's solemnity you will really feel some kind of a grace or whatever that is associated when you are in this sacred sanctuary. It was two years ago when I first got here. I prayed, then like what I normally do when I'm in a place with some old "artifacts" I wander around and touch things that I can. I do pray in front of sacred icons, too, but like what my Church wants its followers, I pray not actually to the icon but to my God. So anyway, while I was looking around I saw that San Vicente in his most regal outfit complete with a black cape had actually gold chains, diamonds in his vest, and I think there were some gold rings thrown most probably by his devotees to his feet. Wow! If they would sell all those things, they could fetch thousands from them, enough to make another chapel. The chapel of San Vicente, too, is not just an ordinary chapel. Wooden chairs are finely carved, and there were some velvet sofas too. Apart from the donations--in cash and in kind--handed by rich devotees, those who come here can also buy (or have to buy) candles to be lighted before going inside to pray. Talking of church.

Late last year, I had my first too in Birhen sa Regla Church in Lapulapu. It was a week after the saint's fiesta so there was not much people around. I'm not so fond of church visits, I only go when I get invited. In this case, it was a friend who invited me and because I'm such a laagan kuyog dayun ko! Wap-a man sad ko kaadto gud.

We had to ride a motorized boat to get there, so the journey, considering that Lapu is another island that is very far away from my place, was not that bad. We went straight to the chapel of Birhen sa Regla, and I was really amazed by its grandeur. I swear, it was like a small throne room. The wooden chairs are very shiny, and the floor is kind of marble. And the image is, again, adorned with some gold and diamonds. Some riches there, huh?

But all two sacred icons are nothing compared to the Sto. Niño. I don't know if the one placed for viewing is the real one given by the Spaniards to the Cebuano, but it sure looks it. It is again full of jewels. Last time I came to watch it was several years ago and the icon was wearing gold necklaces and its vest was dotted with diamonds. I remember I was transfixed by it the whole time, while in my mind was wondering how could some people be so generous and unkind at the same time. For more than once this icon was (almost) robbed of its expensive ornaments.

My point is I don't like this kind of display of love to the Almighty or to the saints. I've nothing against devotion, I also have my own God. But if only the churches or the chapels be made less grander than what they are now (just like what they were during Jesus' time) and all the money that was spent here should be used to construct home cares then there would have been no homeless in the streets right now. It is just so sad to imagine that while the icon of Sto. Niño in the Basilica regally clothed and all is safely tucked in its gold-plated case, tens of kids in Cebu City alone are sleeping in the streets. I'm sure that is not what God wants it to be. It may be a crime to give alms to a mendicant, but I think I'd rather do that crime than shelling out a single peso of my earning for the church. For what, to be used in building another cathedral? Let’s get real.

2 comments:

feebee said...

well said, iyaan! ;)

vatski said...

salamat :)