Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Day story

New year’s day was spent with food and more food. Now I am literally bloated up, I can barely breathe. But what can I do, I was with people who are so addicted with food. At least food ra, dili shabu. Hehe!

I slept at a friend’s house way past bedtime (about 3am of Jan 1. what a way to start my year but bleh it was so good) so we could have an early start the next day. But damn, her idea of an “early start” was before the sun rises. Ggrr! What can I do, I’m in her turf.

So we ate (my first for the day) rice and practically all edible stuff that were on her table (fruits included).

First stop was to visit our other friend (a long-time tradition that even if we don’t get invited, we always come to her “rescue” to help her and her family consume their food supply. Hehe!) Three of us were practically “cleaning up” this friend’s table of food. Her mom was actually cooking more food while we were devouring what this friend served us. In fairness, we left before her mom’s food was cooked.

Next stop was at my place (after playing badminton non-stop!) to get the red wine I promised. I was supposed to bring it the day before, but I intentionally forgot about it ‘cause chances are, I would get to drink most of its content just like what happened last Christmas when I was so drunk by my own wine bec my friend chose to indulge in beer. So there, the Year of the Pig came to life, when they saw some food (including my fave chocs!) in the fridge. FYI these people are not really big, I don’t know where they put all the food they consume. As to my case, everything that gets into me is so evident (extra flab everywhere, double chin, etc).

We all came back to barangay Poblacion (the hangout area ‘cause it’s where we all live, uh, except me ‘cause we moved out of this place four years ago) to, again, lose some calories by playing badminton. We don’t actually do it to lose fats, but to be “fit!” I think, we are getting good after playing almost everyday for the past weeks. We even had this “tournament” that day, and unfortunately, my team lost in the game, of which prize was Coke. So you can imagine what was in our minds after the game. Right, another eating binge! Then play again. Even under the rain. I only had three hours of sleep the other night, and I felt like floating everytime I tried to catch the shuttlecock. But heck, this only happens rarely as two of these people (as of last count, we are down to six—from 11--as the others are working outside the country) have to go back to their b-houses, where they are staying.

It was almost dark when we stopped the game. And because it was yet early to go home, we went to the beach. Our beach is famous for its inasal and kinilaw and sinugbang nokus ug isda. You just can’t resist the sight (and smell) of this food, can you? So we yielded! We were supposed to have a quick swim, but what happened was a good hour of eating and fighting (we always do). Oh food!

By this time, some of us were already complaining of too much food intake in just a span of just less than a day. But the complaining stopped, when, after we bathed and changed, another friend asked if we could have “buwad” for dinner. Sheyt, magdinner pa diay mi??! But buwad, my love, we will dinner, amiga!! And since most stores were close that day, we had to scour every store that was on business just to buy her “buwad.” We saw one opened three blocks away. And we cooked the buwad at another friend’s house, that had “utan” on its table. The buwad and their rice were gone in seconds. We are sinners, yeah!

So well, I think this year's celebration was one of the best. Forget the extra flab and weight, and the soaked shirt and pants (from the rain), it was a day of fun and a happy New Year!!!

No comments: