Wednesday, January 03, 2007

magyawyaw sa ko

Our justice system has become more and more pathetic, it makes me want to become this country’s president and pocket all the money I can lay my hands on because I know I will still get to live in a mansion and visit my mother on her birthday even if I get convicted for my crime. Very hospitable we are to VIP convicts, and more so to visitors, especially to Americans.

US Marine LCPL Daniel Smith, a convicted rapist, is now enjoying such hospitality when we had him transferred from the Makati City Jail to his own embassy last December 29. Is it because we love to make him feel at home while he is serving his term? Hmmm...

And Gonzalez said he does not see any unconstitutionality in Smith’s transfer. You bet! From the start sir, you’ve been very vocal with your opposition in holding the trial here (for reasons only you and your shadow know). After hearing most of your views on a lot of major things, I am beginning to like you sir. Hopefully, we become close in the future. *Puke*

Gonzalez said custody of US personnel could be in an American facility but within Philippine territory so that judicial proceedings would not be obstructed and should a final conviction be reached, "the Philippines would retain its authority to impose the proper penalty pursuant to jurisdiction that it had previously obtained."—lifted from Philstar

Okay, not that I’m so eager to see this American soldier be eaten alive by bugs and whatever insects we breed in our city jails, I just want justice to be carried out. What’s the point of slapping him the life sentence to be served in Makati City Jail (I’m pretty sure, the trial court decision did not mention US embassy) when we will only have to hand him over to his country?? Why bother having the trial here in the first place? Cripes! This is really getting cozier! Aren’t we satisfied with giving him the “best” cell we have in our jail (plus the regular visits from important people and not to mention, some amenities we afforded to him) that we have to move him to a “safer” and nonetheless more comfortable place??

If it is true that the executive body has a hand on this, I don’t think the judiciary can’t say “no” to a “plea bargaining.” The latter is supposedly an autonomous branch—free from the tentacles of the president--to decide on its own. Well, that is what it is as I last know of. Or perhaps it has become a “was” as our people there got greasy hands and friendly nature.

The president, for her part, said she only wants to protect the strategic relationship between the Philippines and the US. So it is her idea. Again. Fine!

I need a vacation.

2 comments:

feebee said...

once again, nagpaka-tuta na sad ato gobyerno. hmp! balhin na si papa daniel... pwede si gonzales na lang take sa iya place sa makati city jail? hahaha!!!

in fearness... nacrush jpun ko ni daniel, hehehe :P

vatski said...

macrush man jud ka tanan convicts, hasta gani si ecleo imo patulan. hahaha....