Sunday, October 23, 2005

hopping in Argao




Argao Church. The second oldest church of Cebu. The construction started in 1734 and was finished in 1788. its wooden doors, i bet, are still the original ones, so grand i couldn't take my eyes off them. and the frescoes were sooo magnificent! even with the obvious chips and cracks all over them.

Then there was its equally fascinating altar. There was obvious attempt to make it look like the Basilica’s (del Sto. NiƱo) but it still looked amazingly antique. I like it better than that in the Basilica, the restoration has made it looked modern.

Hungry for more old objects I, together with a fellow reporter, toured other Spanish-era buildings.

We went inside the municipal hall which looked like a typical house during the Spanish time. Inside was a picture of history: the big and uneven-shaped beams, the old chairs, and the floor! (Gad, I was stepping-for the first time in my life- a very old wooden floor)

Too bad they created rooms out of the entire floor making it appear like a raped virgin. Abusive people!

The place also has a museum. It was closed that day so I had to feast instead on what were left in the convento. There were three rocking chairs, I sat on the one in the middle (it felt good to feel what my ninuno did during their siesta time). There were a handful finely-carved sofas too. But they were not properly preserved (well, Church!).

I ended the tour at the hall of justice, the very reason I was there. It was also a very old building but was transformed into a modern one. Still, the past was very evident, with the capiz windows, the coral-stoned walls, etc. Chief Justice Davide, a native of Argao, said it was the very place he stood to take his elementary diploma 56 years ago. the hall of justice was actually his brainchild project.

I would have liked to continue my tour after the coverage but we were running out of time so we left without even taking home with us torta, the place's famous deli.

I really am fascinated with very old objects. Well, except for TF's battered and antique FX which was our service vehicle that day. Grrr!

5 comments:

jute said...

I've never been to Argao. I only got as far as Sibunga. I didn't know that town has great historical spots.

vatski said...

that was my second time actually but last friday was the only time i really had a good glimpse of the place.

feebee said...

maayo mong duha oi! ako, i haven't been in that part of our country! adto ta beh.... kay managkot ko. heheh :P grabeh na jud ning torture sa office...even escalated issues that customer satisfaction peeps escalated to my boss, ako lang gihapon patawagon. e di, bugwakan ko kayo ato! hmp!!!! ug sa dihang naa koy audience samtang ako ni gitype..faet! uli na ko oi! hmp!! mingaw ko ninyo mga iyaan :):):):)

vatski said...

sikat jud ka ya wherever you go! wahahaha

wengkat said...

that's the price of being "laagan" dear... you would be able to see the wonders of the old world...hehehehe.
i've been to argao once dear. i think that was their fiesta last year. i deeply agree with you, it has one of the most beautiful altars among churches in Cebu. even if the church has been renovated, the altar has remained as is until now. it's just repainted for it to look better (tingale). manglaag unya ta dear, atong i-tour tanang old churches and houses diri Cebu. mag-ghost hunting ta...hehehehe.