Saturday, July 09, 2005

coffee+ghost stories

My hands are shaking, most probably from lack of sleep or the 2 mugs of coffee I drank during the night or probably both.

So I’ve said it. I have no real sleep yet and I’m still at the office, bloodshot eyes and all, since yesterday. For the record, I don’t smell 'that' yet but I admit I’m kinda feeling itchy.

This was unplanned, obviously. Our editor, sensing that there’d be an overturn of events in the next hours after some prominent people and groups have joined the call that the president should resign, asked if some of us could stay, but only for a couple hours longer. I had a special report due the next day, today, so I decided to be a “good girl” for once (I am not obedient to this particular editor).

But the supposedly couple-of-hours-longer wait turned into an overnight stay here in the newsroom.

My fellow reporter suggested we stayed overnight as she, too, wanted to confirm if the president was really here in Cebu (later on the night it was found out it was just a ruse to divert the public’s attention. But she’s due here today, daw.) This reporter was actually assigned at Church beat. Around this time she was still waiting for statements from her dear sources, the clergymen who, as of last night, were tight-lipped on this issue.

So there, we stayed up until four in the morning typing our reports, watched MTV in full volume when we heard some eerie noises in the background, or talked about ghost which were said to have haunted this newsroom. We actually heard a typing keyboard (a keyboard typing on its own, however you say it) from one of the deserted cubicles (others have heard of it, daw.) The newsroom had had a number of occupants, editors, reporters and a photographer, who passed away. Last night was my first overnight here, I heard a lot of ghost stories too like a crying lady in the CR, a man in white T-shirt (not white lady this time), etc. Actually one of the reasons I stayed was to personally experience 'it'.

The president decided not to come to Cebu “to seek sanctuary” so we got no story there. But i was able to make a draft of my special report plus my news story for today as i'm bound to go home and never to return until Monday.

But one I learnt from being awake most of the night, hey who could sleep with keyboard typing by itself and doors banging with no one near them (well according to one of my friends) and all the unexplainable occurrences the other night, was it did not feel good to stay up all night when you have to travel, on a public jeep, on your way back home. I don’t know if I'll still be alive the moment i'll need to say "para." God bless me.

4 comments:

jute said...

Hahah. Try not sleeping a single wink and then expect yourself to speak in front of class for oral recitation. 'Til now, I still can't remember the words I said. My brain felt like it was hanging suspended in midair.

vatski said...

kalooy. it happens all the time mam? basin nanay multo II pohon ha. hahaha...

Kat said...

I am confused. I really know nothing of politics in the Philipines. And I have since blogging and finding some blogs of people who live in the Phillipines tried to learn more. But is it a figure of speech or really how you feel that you would be ok if the President had cheated? I really don't know if she did, or if any insinuations that she did are credible. To be quite honest I am rather ignorant of the whole process. I just wonder I read in another blog of apathy and dissilusionment which I feel a great deal in my country, I also feel that if an election was stolen, and I do believe at least one of the last two were...that many wouldn't care because well a better man in their mind won? Just wondering a different culture's from a different viewpoint's thoughts.
Kathy

vatski said...

It’s not that I condone cheating. there’s just no better one to replace her. our vice-president is incompetent and will likely be overthrown because of his incompetence if not for the electoral fraud complaints he shares with the president. We’ve had enough of ousters; we’ve ousted 2 presidents in fact, I can’t have more :) but I am for due process.