Monday, April 18, 2005

The Da Vinci Code

I’ve just finished reading the book (well, a week ago)…and being a Catholic I was not the least affected by it. The heck, if it’s Dan Brown’s amusement to make a mockery out of the Catholic faith. I was not amused.

However, it was nonetheless a cannot-put-down read…but equally frustrating (I’m talking here of the ending).

Anyway, here are some points I thought I should express:

1. Brown’s making Da Vinci’s paintings mirror to the “real” story of the Catholic’s history...
For example, the person seated at the right side of Jesus in The Last Supper was a woman. So what if it was indeed a woman! Does that really tell that Jesus was really romantically involved with a woman, particularly Mary Magdalene? Brown might want us to believe so but I found it far-fetched which leads me to my next argument.
2. If Mary Magdalene (MM) was a famous member of the royal clan why was she not mentioned in some religious books? Granted, the Church had successfully erased her from the earlier editions of Bibles, her popularity would still be found in some books, aside from Brown’s DVC. In the New Testament, she was a prostitute. A royal-blooded prostitute?
3. Another, if the lives of MM and Sarah (purportedly her daughter by Jesus) were chronicled, why didn’t we know about it? (only Dan Brown told us so)
4. Brown also stated there that all Jewish men must marry someone that was why Jesus “married” MM. And on the later chapter he mentioned that Jewish apostles were single. Huh?!
5. Then, he said Jesus was a mortal but one who was revered and called a great man. But on the next part he said Jesus was a Saviour. Oh my…

Among many others…
When Vatican released a statement forbidding its followers to read the book Down Brown said it was purely fictional. But note that he mentioned on the first part of the chapter (author’s note?) that everything: the places, art works, secret organizations, were real which means he was telling a real story (and only the plot was fiction).

But Brown succeeded…in making his book a bestseller. The book was full of anagrams, codes, riddles, etc…it was fun following and even solving some. But the major turn off is the ending…after all the deaths, the travels, the clues, the story ended in the same place where it started. Had I known…

Rated: 3 stars and 1 moon

6 comments:

jute said...

I agree. I agree that he created a very entertaining fictional, if a bit blurry, account of events that happened. It is a work of fiction. We cannot know for sure if his claims are true. But so what if they are? That doesn't lessen my faith. That doesn't make me any less a Catholic. I do not believe that this book should be preached against. Neither do I think it should be promoted. It is an entertaining book but it is not a great book. Those who wish to improve their storytelling style will learn more from reading mangas than from reading this.

vatski said...

out of curiousity, i searched for the Merovingian bloodline (purportedly Jesus' decendants accdng to D. Brown)...but i was shocked when i found out, in some sites, that the Merovingians were satanic or anti-christ...another site says that the bloodline is a myth..whatever..it only means one thing, Brown is making a fool of his readers.
you're right jute..we'll read mangas from now on..what's that anyway? hehehe

jute said...

Haha. Japanese comics. Anime.

Naveen said...

a true catholic is one who will follow the faith of christianity, even if christ has a bloodline or is married. but you have to give credit to the author for bringing up such a nice story and bring about controversy, testing those who are sceptical abt the actual story.

i hate people who cant appreciate the work of such an author or those who donot respect the pope for his contribution to the world. being indifferent in feelings during the time of his death is a disrespect for a man of such stature.

vatski said...

how can you appreaciate such work if it tries to devastate your religion? not all readers have open minds. brown was creative and might have convinced a number of his readers.

jute said...

Prematura, you are being unfair. You say that I disrespect the pope for being indifferent to his death. I said in my post that it is a sad event but I cannot pretend to feel anything more personal than that. If I were to pretend that I felt something more, then I would not only be disrespecting the pope, but myself as well. And that, in itself, is unforgivable.