Sunday, August 12, 2007

WTF is happening to this world???

*breathe*

Just yesterday a friend admitted that she’s already into that thing with her boyfriend. That’s quite normal these days, and I have no problem with that or whatsoever. I don’t really care.

But, this is a friend! And her case is different! She’s doing it with her second-degree cousin. Jesus Christ, of all the millions of men of this country! We've already foreseen it, as she sort of brought herself there--closer to where he is. Pero ingun ana man jud na’ng gugma, di ma-ispeling. But that is still a shocking revelation. Plus the fact that by submitting herself to this guy she has somehow trapped herself forever in this incestuous relationship. I mean she’s a woman, free and smart, and yet stupid. Excuse me, that is just an expression.

So what's my problem? None. It's her life, but then again, she's a friend. We met last night, and being her friends, we told her she and her boyfriend could go out of the country and get married there. That’s how practical we are, but I still believe that what she allowed to happen is still the stupidest among all the decisions she’s ever made. But of course, it’s her life.

So I woke up this early to discuss her life here. I don’t know if she still passes by this blog though. And if she does…you can kick me in the butt next time we meet.

Here’s my take:

Section 1 of Article 38 of the Family Code prohibits marriage of blood relatives up to the fourth civil degree or first cousins, so meaning, pwede ra ang second cousins. One good example: Mikey Arroyo and his cousin Angela. However, there are scientific reasons like a high risk of producing abnormal babies, for one, that surround this issue. And that although it’s already been made legal—both by the Philippine law and the Catholic Church—we can’t still extinguish the fact that this is still incestuous.

So it is legal already, but what about the kids? Granted they are physically normal, with the kind of culture we have here, I don’t think their lives will be the same as those born by unrelated parents. Hence, the best option, as suggested by many, is to leave the country and start a family there, if you really want it. I heard some states in America even allow first-degree cousins unions, might as well join the mob.

We had a neighbor before who screwed up with his mother's younger sister (his aunt), who is a little older that he is. They are married now (although that is still void as such union is prohibited by the same code), but they have since transferred to Timbuktu. Seriously, they are now living just down the road where their neighbors don’t know what they are, making them far from the prying eyes of their old neighbors. The only problem they have now is how to tell to their three kids—who fortunately have no signs of birth defects—their story. Because even if you have already settled down in some cozy place with your cousin-partner, there are still other matters to consider. Like, your children. Do they have to know the story or what? That's probably the toughest part of this relationship. Siblings who are also cousins and things like that...Yo!

You see, this is really hard for those into it, especially to you, friend. And I don't understand why you've kept it going all this time when you know it's never peaceful there. All right, it's love. Jesus! Pero I’m sure tiguwang naka kahibalo naka’s imong gibuhat and all its consequences. If the news had only sunk in while we were still in that coffee shop gahapon, gikarate na ngali tika.

I’d love to throw my support to all of my friends in need and even those who are not basta feel lang nako, but I don’t think this one needs some supporting. In the first place, I’ve never been supportive of this relationship from the start. Goodness, you can pick up a prosti, a macho dancer, or even a same sex partner, ayaw lang jud na’ng paryente. That’s still ickish! And that’s a friend there I see wasting her life with her cousin. Yeah, you are so wasting your life, friend. Or I maybe just too blind to see that you’re happy. But that’s your life, bahala ka!