Friday, August 31, 2007

me, the wannabe diver

I went diving again yesterday. The last time was actually 21 years ago, that i had to take a "refresher course" in case i'd miss some important rules--like how to stay bouyant, reading and giving hand signals, etc.--that are real important while down under. We are so lucky to have a number of swimming pools in our little city for our practice session, and the Lagundi Reef, our marine sanctuary, is just a 10-minute motorized boat ride from the Poblacion beach. So, anytime we feel like going for a fun dive (or to the pros, an exploration dive!), we can always do so without having to worry about so many things like a vehicle to take all the scuba equipment, a place to stay, et cetera. And yep, the scuba things--the oxygen tank, wet suits, masks, fins, etc--are always there waiting for their next users. Thanks to the TCSLSCAI people who always accomodate me everytime I come around to pester them. Thank you, guys! :) And yesterday's dive was really good, it gave me a certain confidence I never had before, in fact, I am now ready for my next adventure. ;) Yeah, I got invited for a more daring dive this Saturday (the reason why I had to practice again). I just wish it'd be as fun as my other dives. I really wish!

---

Yesterday's visit to the Lagundi was also a chance to see Ana Escalante Neri, the cross (see pic on the right) that immortalizes her is now sitting among the corals of different shapes and sizes, exactly where she wanted to be, as while still alive she was always heard saying, she belongs to the sea. Fellow divers actually refer to the cross as Ana, like when they asked me if I wanted to see Ana once I get down there too...Of course, that dive would never be complete without seeing her! And I did not just see her, I touched her like we were tight like that (like the jellyfish and I like that. pakyo!). Oh, if only we were friends...

One diver, that guy who have dreamt of Ana thrice, showed me a quote from her that tells something about sincerity. It went like: You can never find sincerity in the face of the world, only in the deepest chamber of the heart, its calmness, the serenity of sincerity...or something to that effect. I'm not very fond of quotes but this one means something, told--on the third dream--by a person who has already died. There are actually more to these dreams...

So yeah, you should talk to him if you want to know his "meetings" with Ana.

8 comments:

chase / chubz said...

i don't like scuba diving.
i have this fear of drowning..huhuhu

vatski said...

as long as u keep ur regulator attached to ur mouth, u dont drown. it's actually that simple.

chase / chubz said...

ganun ba..
scary mana oie.
dili gali ko ganahan ug snorkelling
but.i will do scuba b4 i die. that is for sure. hahaha

vatski said...

dili uy. bsta dili lang ka magpanic, di lagi ka mamatay. hehehe

joyyy said...

knsa diay ng ana neri gurl? why the cross mn? prominent someone?

vatski said...

prominent someone. like her husband's family owns a local paper here...

Anonymous said...

Hi wannabe diver,

Just getting certified to dive in the next few days here in Hawaii, will be coming to Manila on Feb. 09 , I would like to dive where Ana's cross lies. Ana is my Niece and I was at her wedding in Burlingame.

Drc.

vatski said...

hi drc,
typhoon frank made a destruction on the sanctuary where Ana's cross is, i hope it did not do damage on the cross itself. i was supposed to go with the team this morning, but i have my period, so i begged off. but i think shes still okay down there, ive seen her already. thanks for dropping by, anyway. :)