Monday, February 20, 2006

i'm okay

If I had a day to myself I'd rather stay home and watch movies. And I just did that yesterday. Now, I'm blogging them bec I'm bored.

SHUTTER
this is a story of a young photographer Thun, and his girlfriend, Jane, and his former girlfriend, Natre, who became the ghost--a scary ghost!
scary indeed. no wonder why they call it horror!
but, Natre is really funny in some scenes. she almost had my respect until i saw her nikabiba (can't find the english word for that. not even sure if that's the Cebuano word) ni Thun. sus!
my back always hurts these past few days. hmmm...i may have my back photographed.

Great Expectations
Based on Charles Dickens' timeless tale, this is a story of the love of Finn Bell(Ethan Hawke) for an unreachable woman-Estella (Gwyneth Paltrow).
Well, they fell in love in the end, but only after about 48 years when Estella came back to her homeplace with a child in tow.
The scenes, especially those inside the confines of Paradiso Perduto (?), are just great! The abandoned party with wine glasses covered by dead leaves and all, and all those remnants of that supposedly wedding reception, which happened 26 (?) years ago, of that old bitchy woman. It was impossible to have those glasses still standing there after so many years, but that was still something I'd wish to personally see (if it were true).
And the beauty inside the mansion- "abandoned" and uncared for- reminds me of the First Street house/the Mayfair Witch Manor, the setting of the Anne Rice' The Witching Hour trilogy: the Mayfair Witches, Lasher, and Taltos.
The movie was released sometime in 1998. I've already read the book and tried several times renting a VHS (then) copy of the movie but failed to see it as my mother returned it before I could even watch it. Then I rented a VCD a few years back but left it at a friend's house. She watched with without me :( Malas!
Finally, I saw another copy in our GM's place, so there i grabbed it!

No comments: