Saturday, January 14, 2006

the Sto. Niño


















Today, thousands came to walk with the Sto. Niño. It is a six-hour walk. Extremely tiring but they still did it and will do it again next year.

I once tried it when I was in college and it really was bone-tiring. I said then never will I do it again.

And I am right now writing this blog while those Sto. Niño devotees are probably stretching their muscles in some corner of the Basilica.

I am lazy, I admite. But I have my own kind of worshipping. I am not prayerful but I have my own way of communicating with my God.

Still, I admire those devotees who sing the Gozos of the Sto. Niño and raise their hands when singing the chorus part. The manifestation of their faith to the Child is miracle enough.
But the most touching I’ve experienced is during the fluvial parade-the practice of bringing back the Sto. Niño after spending the night in Mandaue City to the Basilica by traversing through the sea.

At the port where the image will dock hundreds or probably thousands of people are lining the sides of the wharf and every available corner of the pier area to meet the Image as it is transported back to the Basilica.

And when the Image is finally seen hundreds of balloons carring the devotees’ petitions are released while everyone starts chanting Viva Pit Señor!

We become one at these times. Even for someone like me who only adores the holy icon because it is antique (well, of course I still respect it for what it is) the feeling of seeing the oneness of the people around you because of their faith is really overwhelming.

But, it is just sad to say that this is just a “display” of faith. Or we wouldn’t have “chismosas” as neighbors, greedy individuals as leaders, the same bad boys and girls as we are, etc. etc.

Hay…we only become better individuals when it’s Christmas or Fiesta.

We never learn.

1 comment:

vatski said...

korek! i know several people who are just like that... when they're out of church they're back to their old self. and what's sad a lot of them are worse than those who seldom go to church.

btw, thanks for leaving a comment clare :)