Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day rambling

My phone’s beeping roused me this morning only to find out it was only a message from a friend letting me know today is Mother’s day.

The message reads: “Can u do me a li’l favor?/ Can u thank ur mom 2day 4 me?/ For w/o her I won’t be able to meet a great person like u! Happy Mother’s Day to ur mom!”

After reading it, I went back to sleep. Outside my room I could hear my mom giving instructions to my sister, they were probably doing something in the kitchen. Honestly, occasions like today have no meaning to me. I know, without anyone reminding me, it’s Mom’s day today, but I was glad my friend sent me that message, it only showed she found me great  although I received the same message twice (forwarded message!).

When I finally woke up I did not see my mother but I heard her voice somewhere just outside our house. I was already in the kitchen when I saw her when she came. Then when I was heading to my room I heard her reprimanding my brother for closing the fridge, which was being defrosted. My brother did not do it, I did. Of course, I told her I closed it because I did not know she was letting the ice melt. But actually I pushed the ref’s door close because it was blocking my way (our kitchen was so small there’s no room for two). I didn’t tell her that.

After 20 minutes, I left the house without even saying “Happy Mother’s Day Mom!” I knew it would have made her the happiest person on earth to hear me say it. But she’s a got an insensitive daughter here.

Reminiscing….

When I was a bit younger mom used to send me notes when she could not get home the usual time. Being the eldest, she’d task me to cook, for example (I was never a good cook though, but that’s another story)
… or she would just simply say she could not be home for dinner.

In short, I was used to reading notes taped on the fridge door or being sent by mom’s workmate. Her working most of the time was probably the reason why we were not close, even up to this day.

Before I also gave her cards… but I’m a grown-up now; actions are better than words. Almost everyone published his /her message for his/her mother. I did not, and there’s no more time. But there’s still another of that, next year…

No comments: