Saturday, April 09, 2005

Farewell to the Great Man

Today, the world bid goodbye to Pope John Paul II…a great man (a saint no doubt). Here in Cebu, we also had our own funeral mass for the pope. It was held at the Archbishop’s Palace grounds where in February 1981 the pope had sat down to ‘listen’ to the more than 3,000 young people (that was probably how the World Youth Day was conceived).

In that same grounds, a life-sized statue of the pope standing in a Cebu-shaped concrete platform was erected symbolizing that he was once there. And on that statue, people offered flowers and lit candles (they had been doing it since the day he died). It was really amazing how this simple gesture of love touched everyone there, including myself. When the choir begun singing “Tell the World of His Love,” people silently wept. The song was used during the World Youth Day in 1995 when the Pope last set foot in Philippine soil. This was in Manila. I have to note here that during that day, no single crime was committed in that place, that was a miracle as Manila is a hive of criminals of all types. Most probably they, too, were awed by the Pope’s overpowering presence.

The Pope’s death had practically stopped the world. But one thing’s sure (except that he really is dead) the world became one, today. Leaders, including those with conflicts, met at the St. Peter’s Basilica, where the funeral services were held. Some even sat together, and even talked (they seemed to on TV). Another miracle!

Personally, I hadn’t had a time to reflect on his death. Since it was announced (I was informed early morning of Sunday-Philippine time) I had been busy talking with priests, bishops, and our Cardinal (a member of the Conclave) asking them their reactions and messages. And when I got at the office, I researched and then wrote about what I gathered during that day.

Only this afternoon had I given a chance to really think of what a man he was. I cried, yeah I did, like all the hundreds of people who attended the funeral mass. I did not know why…when he was very sick I did not pray that he stayed as I knew he would go eventually. And when he died I did not feel thankful either. I cried probably because in some way or another he had touched my heart…through his words...through his deeds. And I would miss him…

No comments: